Friday, April 9, 2010

Spare Bedroom Re-Do


For a few weeks now, we have been working to convert our spare bedroom into a craft room.  It is definately a work in progress.  We've always used this small room as a bedroom.  It first housed a Japanese-Homestay Student (Minami).  Then it housed my neice's daughter until she went off to college.  Then my daughter and granddaughter used it briefly.  Once it was finally empty of people (laugh), we decided we wanted it to be a craft room instead.  My husband likes to do wood crafts.  I like doing all sorts of crafts.  We lucked out a couple of months ago when it was brought to our attention through a friend of a friend that a young man was living pretty destitute and had nothing, furniture-wise.  We ended up giving him the entire bedroom of furniture - lamps, bedding, bed, dresser...everything!  In our opinion, it was a win-win situation.  It helped the guy out and it helped us rid the room of everything in it!   The photo above has been my inspiration for the room.  It's a PB ad.  Love them...just not their prices!!


Next we had to decide on paint colors.  The room was painted two colors:  a chocolate brown accent wall and the other 3 walls were cinnamon cake.  Both Behr brand paints.  We decided we really wanted to lighten the room up since it only has one window.  So we went off to HD and picked out two more colors:  limelight and hushed white.  Limelight sounds green but it's actually a very pale aqua color.  I fell in love with it once it was on the wall.  It was an accent color so I painted that wall last.  If I'd known how beautiful and calming the color was going to be, I would have painted all the walls that color!  We left the trim glossy white.


My husband custom built 2 long craft tables and anchored them to the walls.  They are about 2 ft wide and about 7 ft long, I believe.  It made an "L" shape table on two walls.  Ample space for he and I to do our crafting.  He mounted a small tv/dvd combo from the ceiling to free up space.  He also put speakers and music into the room for me so I can listen to that too when I am creating.  We stained the worktable tops a stain called Gettysburg and added some decorative moulding that we painted the same glossy white as the rest of the trim in the room.   We were sad to paint over the beautiful Birch wood, but the color was really nice! He also drilled a hole through each table and ran two power strips for me so I can have lots of ways to plug things in.


That's all we've done so far.  This weekend I want to add a burlap skirt under the tables, perhaps a valance for the window and do touch up painting.  I have some pictures of it so far, but not with me today.  I will post them on Monday, with hopefully, more photos of the updates we do this weekend!  I am very excited about getting this craft room ready to fill.  I got a Cricut Expression for Christmas and it will have a nice new home in the craft room!  I plan to use it with vinyl to make some wall words for the space along with some subway art pictures.


What are your plans for the weekend?  Anything fun?

No comments: